8/09/2008

Ten Tech Goals for the Year


I don't want to spend too much time raving about Plurk, because there are better blog posts and podcasts on that subject. Since school is still over a week away for teachers, I enjoy plurking on a pretty regular basis to gain good resources and to join great discussions. To me the best Plurks are the ones that really get me thinking and where the threads bring different points of view. A couple of Plurks by Steve Dembo and others asked for school and tech goals. Since Plurk only allows for 140 characters, I thought I would explore this topic further. Not that I expect anyone really cares what for goals are for the next school year, but I want my blog to be my Jimmney Crickett. That voice will remind me of what I should do rather than give up when things get rough.


Well here it goes...


1. Come out strong from the beginning! Don't wait for people to make excuses for not using technology.


2. To be available to staff as much as possible to help with technology. It doesn't matter if I have a title or even part of a committee to help a staff member.


3. I should set the example in my classroom. That will require to vary from the Microsoft Office centered curriculum, but that is actually a bonus.


4. Get administration to buy in. I truly believe they set the tone for any new movement.


5. Celebrate the small achievements. I am known for being impatient and wanting to change everything now. Even if one teacher uses one new tool or uses more technology tools they know about, then this adventure will be worth it.


6. Don't burn myself out! I need a strong start, but need to also make it to the finish line. This might require me closing my door and I should do that without feeling guilty.


7. I am going to work to making technology easier for teachers. I have made many guides in the past, but this I plan to add video and cheat sheets for those that don't bother with big guides.


8. Sharing is the key! This is a weakness for the school in my opinion, but I am hoping that will change as people join the new school ning.


9. Not to fall in the negativity trap! It is so easy to get wrapped up in all of the complaining in the building. Instead of joining in I want to ask, "What do you think we could do to change that?"


10. Most of all be patient! This is my weakness, and to combat that I am going to remind myself, "Rome wasn't built in a day!"


Ok Eduverse, keep me honest and let me wish all of you changing education for the better a fabulous school year!

0 comments: